Another AMD GPU Miner - Mac-GPU-Miner

All discussions around cryptocurrency mining on macOS and Apple products. Discussion around the most popular crypto coins today including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more. Read our getting started guide to understanding cryptocurrency, what you need to get started, and how to earn. What's your Apple Mac setup? Hackintosh? eGPU's? Share your setup and details here.
zephyr325

Another AMD GPU Miner - Mac-GPU-Miner

Post by zephyr325 »

Just stumbled across another GPU miner here -> https://github.com/garrylachman/mac-gpu-miner that is giving me about 12KH/second pay rate on moneroocean.stream using my 4GB AMD Radeon 5300 ProM. It's a straight GUI executable, and doesn't seem to have any configuration options, but this is by far the most efficient program I've found to date.

One big caveat - it's got some kind of bug in it that if you stop it, and then restart it later without fully exiting the program, all the shares it sends in are invalid. The workaround is just to make sure you exit the program completely and then start it up once again when you're ready to use it again.
macminergod
Site Admin

Re: Another AMD GPU Miner - Mac-GPU-Miner

Post by macminergod »

Thank you for sharing this. I'll be sure to get it a shot soon..
For Miners Rigs, macOS Hardware GPUs --> here.
macminergod
Site Admin

Post by macminergod »

Results on AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB:

Macgpuminer Amd Radeon Pro 5600m 8gb Macos Crypto
Macgpuminer Amd Radeon Pro 5600m 8gb Macos Crypto (178.11 KiB) Viewed 38974 times

Code: Select all

OpenCL 1|0: auto-tune validate-intensity 520|512
AMD GPU 1: Share accepted. Pool: gulf.moneroocean.stream:10032

I couldn't get this to work on my M1 Mac it opened and quit. Please let me know if someone is able to.
zephyr325

Post by zephyr325 »

I had to go through the console log when I first installed it to find a couple of libraries it was looking for that I had to install via brew (dyn something?) which the program was looking for to get it to work initially.
macminergod
Site Admin

Post by macminergod »

zephyr325 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:59 pm I had to go through the console log when I first installed it to find a couple of libraries it was looking for that I had to install via brew (dyn something?) which the program was looking for to get it to work initially.
Mind sharing those steps with me and all?

Thanks in advance
zephyr325

Post by zephyr325 »

I had to try to recreate what I did that night - I think this is pretty close to what I had to do:

1) Install Homebrew -> https://brew.sh/

2) I then installed these libraries:

brew install -s libjson-rpc-cpp
brew install openssl
brew install hwloc

3) Run the Mac Console app, and watch the system.log output. See if it complains about not finding specific libraries when you try to run the app.
Arman

Post by Arman »

i've used Radeon RX 5600 XT in the past for GPU mining. and got 40.45 MH/s hashrate and 101 W power consumption for mining ETH (Ethash)
Logi55

Post by Logi55 »

It seems like you're interested in a GPU mining solution for Zumba workout AMD GPUs on a Mac, specifically mentioning "Mac-GPU-Miner." Here's a concise overview and some guidance on this topic:

Setting Up AMD GPU Mining on Mac
Research Compatibility:

Ensure that your Mac's hardware is compatible with GPU mining. Macs typically aren't designed for mining, and compatibility can vary greatly.
Check for the specific AMD GPU model you have and confirm that it's supported by the mining software.
Choose Mining Software:

Look for mining software that supports AMD GPUs on macOS. Common mining software that might work includes:
xmrig: A popular mining software that supports CPU and GPU mining.
ethminer: An Ethereum mining software that supports OpenCL, making it compatible with AMD GPUs.
bfgminer: Another versatile miner that may have macOS compatibility with some configuration.
Install Required Drivers:

Ensure your AMD GPU drivers are up to date. macOS may not provide the latest drivers for all AMD GPUs, and you might need to look for third-party solutions or drivers from AMD's website.
Configure Mining Software:

Download and install the chosen mining software.
Configure the software by creating or editing configuration files to include your wallet address, mining pool details, and other relevant settings.
Sample configuration for xmrig:
json

Run the mining software with the configuration you've set up. Monitor performance and adjust settings as needed.
Considerations
Thermal Management: Macs are not built for the heavy computational load of mining, and extended mining can lead to overheating. Ensure you have adequate cooling and monitor the GPU temperature.
Power Consumption: Mining can significantly increase power usage. Be aware of the impact on your electricity bill.
Profitability: GPU mining on a Mac might not be as profitable as using a dedicated mining rig or PC. Consider the potential return on investment.
Alternative Solutions
External GPUs (eGPUs): If your Mac supports eGPUs, you might consider using an external GPU enclosure with a powerful AMD GPU to improve mining performance.
Cloud Mining: Instead of mining on your hardware, you can explore cloud mining services where you rent mining power from data centers.
If "Mac-GPU-Miner" is a specific software you have come across, check its official documentation for macOS support and specific setup instructions. Ensure that any software you download is from a reputable source to avoid malware or other security risks.

For detailed, up-to-date guides, forums like Bitcointalk and communities on Reddit (e.g., r/EtherMining, r/gpumining) can be valuable resources.