Trying to CryptoMine on Parallels Desktop with Apple M1 MacBook Air! Will it work?

All discussions around cryptocurrency mining on macOS and Apple products. Discussion around the most popular crypto coins today including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more. Read our getting started guide to understanding cryptocurrency, what you need to get started, and how to earn. What's your Apple Mac setup? Hackintosh? eGPU's? Share your setup and details here.
macminergod
Site Admin

Trying to CryptoMine on Parallels Desktop with Apple M1 MacBook Air! Will it work?

Post by macminergod »

Installed Parallels 16 ARM technical preview and Windows 10 and Windows 10 Professional ARM Preview Build. Installed NiceHash latest build. Unfortunately, no devices detected by NiceHash on launch - likely because ARM isn't supported officially on any miners that NiceHash otherwise supports. Parallels Desktop still does not report a separate GPU in task manager. Finally, you can see my Parallels Desktop Hardware settings in the video. For details, see below.

System:
MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
Chip: Apple M1 (8-Core CPU)
Memory: 16 GB
GPU: Apple M1 (8-Core GPU Model)

Parallels Desktop:
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac
16.3.2 (50532) Technical Preview for ARM
Processors: 8
Ram: 8 G
Graphics: Auto

Windows OS:
Windows 10 Professional ARM Preview Build 21286.rs_prerelease.201218-1418
For Miners Rigs, macOS Hardware GPUs --> here.
SoiSoi

Re: Trying to CryptoMine on Parallels Desktop with Apple M1 MacBook Air! Will it work?

Post by SoiSoi »

parallels Desktop released 16.5 version with total support M1 (ARM )
and now possible it will be works as well
SoiSoi

Re: Trying to CryptoMine on Parallels Desktop with Apple M1 MacBook Air! Will it work?

Post by SoiSoi »

please your attention
macminergod
Site Admin

Post by macminergod »

SoiSoi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:34 am please your attention
Hi I doubt that will make much difference but I'll try getting around to a new video in coming weeks.

Edit: We did update to the latest version of Parallels Desktop that fully supports macOS ARM, but it doesn't recognize a video card as a separate device in Windows, still. This may never be supported (never has been yet for Parallels), but you can use a CPU miner if you wish, however I don't see you maximizing earnings this way. We'll need to wait to see how ARM evolves. Also, it may become possible to install Windows OS ARM on an Apple device thus unlocking miner software potential.
SteveW928

Post by SteveW928 »

What we'll really need is for some Metal-based mining software.

Apple *seems* to be headed down a path of their own GPUs, so I'm kind of doubting we'll see future support for AMD outside of the Mac Pro (until they transition that to Apple Silicon), and my understanding is Apple purposely didn't integrate the hardware tech necessary to directly support eGPUs in virtualization which would be needed for Parallels, etc. to see/detect the GPU. (Parallels, etc. do GPU virtualization.) My understanding is that this (Apple's decision) has something to do with security and the T2, etc.

But, the coming Apple Silicon GPUs seem like they will be competitive with AMD/Nvidia, *if* we get the software written to Metal (vs OpenGL/CL, DirectX, etc.). I really hope some maker of mining software creates a Metal version. I don't know what is involved, but that would really open things up for Mac users.
Tyler1763Max

Post by Tyler1763Max »

SteveW928 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:53 pm What we'll really need is for some Metal-based mining software.

Apple *seems* to be headed down a path of their own GPUs, so I'm kind of doubting we'll see future support for AMD outside of the Mac Pro (until they transition that to Apple Silicon), and my understanding is Apple purposely didn't integrate the hardware tech necessary to directly support eGPUs in virtualization which would be needed for Parallels, etc. to see/detect the GPU. (Parallels, etc. do GPU virtualization. https://nexthash.com/) My understanding is that this (Apple's decision) has something to do with security and the T2, etc.

But, the coming Apple Silicon GPUs seem like they will be competitive with AMD/Nvidia Smart POS system, *if* we get the software written to Metal (vs OpenGL/CL, DirectX, etc.). I really hope some maker of mining software creates a Metal version. I don't know what is involved, but that would really open things up for Mac users.
Apple and all that is true however I want to wait a year or two for tesla to make a new Laptop and a fon. That will be something
macminergod
Site Admin

Post by macminergod »

It works, but forget GPU mining for now until Parallels supports a driver for it.

viewtopic.php?p=295#p295
Arman

Post by Arman »

Cryptomining has exploded in popularity as the price of ethereum has risen, exacerbating supply concerns with Nvidia's RTX 3060 Ti, RTX 3070, RTX 3080, and RTX 3090 graphics cards — to the point that Nvidia is taking steps to prevent it by making them less efficient at mining cryptocurrency.

Some may be concerned about an M1 processor being used to mine the hot cryptocurrency, but in this case, the M1's relatively poor GPU makes it an unsuitable fit for cryptominers.

The M1's profit per day is just about $0.14 with a hashrate of 2 MH/s. At that rate, breaking even at current pricing would take just under 20 years.